Questions about academic policies not covered below? Consult your academic advisor or the LS Bulletin.
Advanced Standing Credits
Advanced standing credits are college credits earned before entering NYU, and credit may be awarded toward your NYU degree for the following:
- Satisfactory work completed at another accredited college or university
- Credit by examination, which includes AP, IB, and some foreign maturity examinations
For more information on the LS Advanced Standing Credits policy, visit New Students.
Students may elect no more than one pass/fail option each term, including summer sessions, for a total of no more than 16 credits while they are enrolled in LS. The pass/fail option is not available for the following:
- courses required for a major or minor
- core requirements outlined by the degree-granting NYU school, including LS Core Program
- courses completed at other institutions
- more than 1 course per semester/session
- more than 16 credits total while you are enrolled in LS
For details on classes eligible for Pass/Fail grading, refer to Pass/Fail Option in the LS Bulletin.
How to Elect Pass/Fail Grading
Prior to submitting the request, you must consult with an LS academic advisor about the likely impact of a Pass/Fail grade on your academic and career plans. If you are studying away, you must consult with the LS Office of Global Programs prior to submitting the Pass/Fail request.
To elect Pass/Fail Grading for a course, electronically submit the Pass/Fail Request Form prior to the deadline:
- Fall/Spring semester deadline: no later than the end of the 9th week of classes
- Summer Session deadline: no later than the end of the second week of classes
Once the Pass/Fail Request Form has been submitted and processed by the LS Advising Office, grading for that course cannot be changed back to a letter grade. Note: A grade of “P” is not factored into your GPA; however, “F” grades do count toward the GPA.