Academic Policies and Procedures

The following policies apply to Liberal Studies students enrolled in either the Core Program or Global Liberal Studies (GLS), unless otherwise indicated.


Enrollment Status

The programs and courses in Liberal Studies are designed for students who attend classes offered during the day on a full-time basis. A full-time schedule is therefore expected, which normally consists of 16 credits per term (or 32 credits per year), and enables a student to complete the entire degree program of 128 credits within four years. Minimal enrollment for full-time status entails completing at least 12 credits per term, or 24 credits per year. Students who wish to attend part time should request permission from the Liberal Studies Academic Advising Office. An advisor can discuss the potential implications of part-time enrollment, including degree progress, financial aid, housing eligibility, visa status, and other concerns. Permission will be granted only where there are sufficient and valid reasons for part-time study; though due to visa requirements, part-time enrollment cannot be approved for any student studying abroad. Failure to complete a minimum of 24 credits per year can likewise jeopardize a student’s full-time status and academic progress.

Online Course Registration (Albert)

Albert is the NYU student information services website. Students can use Albert to register for courses, change addresses, and review transcripts and financial aid information. Albert can be accessed via

Change of Schedule

Students may access Albert online to adjust their schedule by dropping and adding courses until the end of the second week of classes (the designated add/drop period for NYU). All schedule changes made after the second week of the semester must be approved by an academic advisor Ultimately, the courses that students sign up for are their responsibility. When uncertain about changes they want to make, students should check with the LS Advising Center. Students may withdraw from a course up until the ninth week of the semester; courses dropped during the first two weeks of the semester will not appear on the transcript. After the second week of classes, students can no longer add a course, and a W (“Withdrawal”) will be recorded on their transcript if they withdraw from a course. The W grade will not be included in the calculation of their grade point average.  Note that add/drop periods differ for summer and winter session classes, though the periods are based on a proportional percentage of time completed in the course.

LS students are strongly cautioned that they should not add courses or change sections of courses after the second week of the semester. Students who wish to add a course in the third week must secure permission from the instructor and/or department in advance. Students who add a course or change a section at any time are fully responsible for all work previously assigned.

After the ninth week of classes, students can withdraw from a course only in case of severe emergency. Late withdrawals must be approved by the LS Associate Dean of Students. Undergraduates are not allowed to completely withdraw from all courses through Albert. For complete withdrawal, students must first consult with an academic advisor and complete a term withdrawal request.

Refunds For Withdrawals

Each semester, the Office of the Bursar establishes a refund schedule that applies to withdrawals. The first calendar week consists of the first seven calendar days beginning with the official opening date of the term. Students who receive financial aid should consult the Office of Financial Aid immediately if they register for, or drop to, fewer credits than reported on their application for financial aid. A change in enrollment status may affect the financial aid students receive. It may also affect their financial obligation to the University by making them immediately responsible for any charges incurred up to the point of withdrawal. The refund schedule is not applicable to students whose registration remains in the flat-fee range (12-18 credits). The refund schedule is based on the total applicable tuition, excluding nonrefundable fees and deposits. Students who are due a refund can expedite the process by enrolling in direct deposit through Albert.

For more information about NYU tuition policies, contact the Office of the Bursar.

Auditing a Course

Students may audit a designated course with the consent of the LS Associate Dean of Students and the permission of the instructor. Auditors may not preempt space required for registered students. Audited courses will not appear on students’ official transcripts, nor will credit or a grade be awarded. Students should not audit courses required by their curriculum. Audited courses will not be considered to satisfy prerequisite requirements for advanced courses. Auditors are allowed to attend classes but not to participate in other ways. Auditors may not submit papers or take exams. Students who wish to audit should contact the Associate Dean of Students about approval no later than the first day on which the class meets.

Residency Requirement

The Core Program is a four-semester program. Students planning to transition to one of the baccalaureate programs at NYU normally must complete four semesters of full-time enrollment in the Core Program. Full-time enrollment is defined as the completion of a minimum of 12 credit hours in each of the four semesters. Summer session enrollment will not be counted toward the residency requirement. Note: Other NYU schools and colleges have specific residency requirements. Students should consult the websites and bulletins of those schools and colleges for up-to-date information about these requirements.

GLS students are required to spend the fall and spring semesters of both the sophomore year and the senior year in residence on Washington Square in New York.


To receive a final grade for a course, a student must be in regular attendance and satisfactorily complete all examinations and other assignments prescribed by the instructor. A student will not receive a grade for any course for which she or he is not officially registered.

The following grades are awarded and are computed in the grade point average: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, and F. In general, A indicates excellent work; B indicates good work; C indicates satisfactory work; D indicates passable work and is the lowest passing grade; and F indicates failure. The weights assigned to the grades in computing the grade point average are as follows:

A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3,
B = 3.0, B- = 2.7, C+ = 2.3,
C = 2.0, C- = 1.7, D+ = 1.3,
D = 1.0, and F = 0.0.

Computing the Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) can be obtained by determining the total of quality points earned and dividing that figure by the total number of credit hours earned. For example, if an LS student has completed an 18-credit schedule and receives grades of A, A-, B, and C+, respectively, in four 4-credit courses and a B+ in a 2-credit course, the student’s semester GPA would be computed as follows:

4.0 (A)  x 4 credits = 16.0
3.7 (A-)  x 4 credits = 14.8
3.0 (B)  x 4 credits = 12.0
2.3 (C+) x 4 credits = 9.2
3.3 (B+) x 2 credits = 6.6
Total grade credits 58.6
GPA = 58.6 divided by 18 = 3.255

The total grade points (58.6) is divided by the number of credits completed (18) to obtain the GPA (3.255). Note: There are no A+, D-, or F+ grades. See “Pass/Fail Option” below for information about pass/fail policies, including those that apply specifically to LS students.

I Grade

The grade of I (“Incomplete”) is a temporary grade that indicates that the student has, for good reason, not completed all of the course work but that there is the possibility that the student will eventually pass the course when all of the requirements have been completed. A student must ask the instructor for a grade of I, present documented evidence of illness or the equivalent, and clarify the remaining course requirements with the instructor.

The incomplete grade is not awarded automatically. It is not used when there is no possibility that the student will eventually pass the course. Students have no more than one semester to finish the work for a course in which an incomplete grade was received, though the instructor may stipulate an earlier deadline. For sophomores in the Core Program scheduled to transition out of LS in the following fall semester, any incomplete grade granted by an instructor in a core requirement must be resolved by August 1st [students must pass all LS requirements before they can transition to another NYU school]. If the coursework is not completed after the designated time for making up incompletes has elapsed, the temporary grade of I shall become an F and will be computed in the student’s grade point average.

W Grade

The grade of W (“Withdrawal”) indicates an official withdrawal from a course.

Pass/Fail Option

Applies to both the Core Program and GLS students: Students may elect no more than one pass/fail option each term, including summer sessions, for a cumulative total of no more than 16 credits while they are degree candidates in LS. The pass/fail option is not available for courses completed at other institutions. The pass/fail option is not permitted for any required course.

Core Program students will not be granted approval to take the following requirements pass/fail:

  1. Courses in the LS Core Program Curriculum (Writing I & II, Cultural Foundations I, II & II, Social Foundations I, II & III).
  2. Required coursework towards a major and/or minor.
  3. Courses under the College Core Curriculum for CAS-bound students or core requirements for other NYU schools.

GLS students will not be granted approval to take the following requirements pass/fail:

  1. Courses in the GLS First-Year Curriculum (Global Writing Seminar, Cultural Foundations I & II, Social Foundations I & II).
  2. Sophomore Seminars (Approaches; Global Topics)
  3. Advanced GLS Elective
  4. Global Cultures
  5. Advanced Global Topics
  6. Experiential Learning I
  7. Junior Independent Research Seminar
  8. Senior Seminars
  9. Senior Colloquium and Thesis

The choice to elect pass/fail grading in any course must be made before the completion of the ninth week of the term (or the third week of a six-week summer session); after that time, the grading option cannot be changed. Once elected, the choice of pass/fail grading cannot be changed back to the letter grade option. No grade other than P or F will be recorded for students choosing the pass/fail option. P includes all passing grades (equivalent to D or higher), but is not counted in the grade point average. F is counted in the grade point average.

To request the pass/fail grading option for an elective course not applied toward a major, minor, or other curriculum requirement, students should contact their academic advisor and complete the online form, available on the LS Website.

Note: Core Program students should understand that in other schools of NYU, the pass/fail option generally is not permitted for any College Core Curriculum courses, for any degree requirements, for courses in the major and the minor, or for required preprofessional courses. Students who change majors may not be able to use courses previously taken under the pass/fail option to satisfy requirements of the new major. Students contemplating the pass/fail option should consult with a LS professional staff advisor about the likely effect of such grades on their academic and career plans.

Course Repeat Policy

For students who matriculate in Liberal Studies as of fall 2016 or later: A student who has taken a course for credit or who has obtained a W (withdrawal) in a course is permitted to repeat that course. Students may not repeat courses in a designated sequence after taking more advanced courses, and students with questions regarding course sequences should consult with the particular department offering the course. When a student repeats a course, no additional credit will be awarded. However, both the original and subsequent grades will be recorded on the transcript and computed in the grade point average.

Grade Appeals

Students who have complaints about grades or other academic matters should attempt in the first instance to resolve them by contacting the instructor of the course and speaking to the Associate Dean of Students before the end of the term, who may attempt to bring about an informal resolution. If the matter cannot be resolved in this way, students may file a petition in writing setting forth the basis for the appeal with the Academic Affairs Office and using a form provided by the Student Affairs Office; such a petition must be filed no later than 30 days after the final grade for the course has been posted. Petitions should be filed at: Liberal Studies, 726 Broadway, Room 676, New York, NY 10003. Petitions will be heard by the Committee on Academic Standards; the committee will deliberate and render a decision within 30 days of the petition’s submission. Any appeal of the decision must be made by the student directly to the Office of the Dean. The deadline for appeals is 14 days from the date of the committee's decision. Students, responsible faculty, and administrators shall preserve the confidentiality of any student’s grade appeal.

Study Away Students

Students must follow the Grade Appeals policy prescribed by the University’s Study Away Policies and Procedures while studying away at a global site.


Students who seek academic support services may contact any of the following resources:

  • The Academic Resource Center (ARC), a resource for academic support, is located at 18 Washington Place. ARC includes cross-school advising services to help students navigate beyond the offerings of their own schools when exploring courses, areas of study, minors, graduate degrees, and more. Students should visit
  • The University Learning Center (ULC) offers academic support workshops, group review sessions, and peer tutoring. The ULC has multiple locations. Students should visit
  • The Writing Center, part of the Expository Writing Program at the College of Arts and Science (CAS), offers tutorial help in writing for the University community. The center is located at 411 Lafayette Street, 4th Floor. Students should visit  
  • Math tutoring is available through the University Learning Center and also at the College of Arts and Science Department of Mathematics, in the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. Students should visit
  • Tutoring support for other subjects is available through the academic department, including Computer Science, Physics, and many foreign languages. Students should visit the appropriate academic department or consult their academic advisor.       


Advanced Standing Credits

Advanced standing credits are college credits earned before entering NYU. Examples of advanced standing credits include those earned at other accredited colleges and universities before admission to NYU completed with a grade of B or better, and those earned through qualifying scores of 4 or 5 obtained on the Advanced Placement (AP) examinations. International Baccalaureate (IB), French Baccalaureate, Advanced Level (“A-Level”), Abitur, and some other foreign maturity examination credits may also result in advanced standing credit. Some courses taken at other colleges may not be honored by NYU.

LS accepts a maximum of 32 credits of advanced standing.* While GLS accepts up to 32 advanced standing credits, the structure of the program does not typically allow for early graduation. The work reflected by advanced standing credits will not substitute for any of the required courses in the Core Program or in GLS. The only requirements that advanced standing credits may satisfy for the Core Program and GLS are mathematics and science. Please see “Advanced Placement Credit and Global Liberal Studies Requirements” below for more information.

Advanced standing credits must be submitted to the NYU Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center and are only then evaluated by the LS Advising Center. Students should request that official AP scores, college transcripts, and other documentation be sent to the NYU Office of Undergraduate Admissions, New York University, 665 Broadway, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10012-2339. AP scores may also be sent electronically through

Students should also note that the various undergraduate schools and colleges of NYU have different policies on whether AP or other advanced standing credit will be accepted in fulfillment of major and other requirements. Students should consult with the LS Advising Center about advanced standing credits and how they will be counted.

For detailed information on AP, IB, and A-Level equivalences, please refer to the AP/IB/Advanced Levels equivalencies charts in the CAS bulletin.

In general, transfer credit may be awarded for satisfactory work completed at another accredited college or university upon receipt of an official transcript that demonstrates a qualifying grade. In granting credit, the following are considered: the content, complexity, and grading standards of courses taken elsewhere; individual grades and grade averages attained by the applicant; the suitability of courses taken elsewhere for the program of study chosen for NYU; and the degree of preparation that completed courses provide for more advanced study at NYU.  Advanced standing credit toward the degree is given only for a grade of B or better, provided the credit fits into the selected program of study and courses were completed within the past 10 years.  In addition, quarter hours will be converted to semester hours to determine the number of credits transferable to NYU; and credits based on semester hours will be transferred at face value to NYU.

*Students should consult the websites and bulletins of other NYU schools and colleges for specific residency requirements.

Advanced Placement Credit and Global Liberal Studies Requirements

GLS participates in the Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. GLS students who present AP test results with the appropriate score (usually 4 or 5) may receive college credit toward the bachelor’s degree. Students who receive AP credit may not take the corresponding NYU course for credit. If they do so, they will forfeit the AP credit.

Science is the only GLS degree requirement that AP credit may satisfy. AP credit in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics B may be used to substitute for Natural Science I and II. AP credit in Environmental Science may be used to substitute for Natural Science II (as opposed to Natural Science I for Core Program students).

Note that the AP equivalencies listed below are for students in GLS only. Students who declare certain cross-school minors should consult the LS Advising Center about advanced standing credits that may or may not apply to particular minors or that may satisfy certain departmental prerequisites. The Core Requirement will be satisfied with a score of 4 or 5 on the AP examination listed.


 AP Examination Core Requirement Satisfied
 Biology Natural Science I and II
 Chemistry Natural Science I and II
 Environmental Science Natural Science II
 Physics B Natural Science I and II
 Physics C—Mech. and Physics C—E&M Natural Science I and II
 Physics C—Mech. Natural Science I
 Physics C—E&M Natural Science I
Physics 1 or 2
Natural Science I
Physics 1 and 2
Natural Science I and II


A student internship can be defined as "a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting" (National Association of Colleges and Employers). Credit towards the NYU degree, however, is awarded for courses, not for internship placements.  Although an internship placement (either paid or unpaid) may be a co-requisite for a course, students receive credit only for academic work that is assessed by an instructor as part of a course -- not for the professional development that they receive through their placement or the hours spent at the placement site. In such cases, students are expected to select appropriate placements in collaboration with the course instructor. For advice on this matter, students and faculty should review the Wasserman Center’s Important Considerations Before Accepting a Job or Internship. If interested in requesting credit for an internship experience, students can contact the internship program advisor in the Liberal Studies Advising Center for more information about the proposal and approval procedures. 

Independent Study

In special circumstances (such as when a student is working on a pre-approved research paper with a faculty member), a student may be allowed to register for an independent study course. Independent study proposals must be sponsored by a full-time LS faculty member and approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Summer Session/Winter Session

NYU offers students the opportunity to earn academic credit to supplement coursework during the regular fall and spring semesters. Summer Sessions are intensive courses offered at the New York City campus and global sites during summer recess. Students interested in Summer Sessions should visit and consult their academic advisor for registration guidance.  January Term sessions are intensive courses offered at the New York City campus and global sites during winter recess. Students interested in January Term session should visit and consult their academic advisor for registration guidance.  

NYU does not normally accept summer school transfer credits taken at another university. In rare circumstances, and only with prior approval, students may take such courses. Students who wish to apply for approval must do so by filing a petition (forms are available through any academic advisor or the Liberal Studies website) no later than the first of May preceding the summer in which work is to be taken. No late applications are considered. Students are also advised that courses taken during the summer at other universities may not fulfill requirements toward degrees and majors in the other undergraduate schools and colleges of NYU. LS students who wish to have summer work at another university substitute for courses or requirements at NYU will require approval from the appropriate NYU school or college, as well as from the LS Advising Center. To receive NYU credit once permission is granted, a student must earn a grade of B or better and then arrange for all official transcripts and scores to be forwarded to the LS Advising Center, New York University, 726 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY, 10003, and to the Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center, New York University, 665 Broadway, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10012.

Non-NYU Study

Liberal Studies students are not permitted to pursue coursework at other universities while in the Core Program or Global Liberal Studies during the regular academic year. Students interested in studying at other universities during the summer or intersession should consult with their academic advisor in New York for permission and approval, as well as guidance on how these courses may or may not count toward graduation or other requirements. In addition, students should consult their transition school if they would like to study outside of NYU in the junior or senior year, as policies vary by program and department.

In general, credit may be awarded for satisfactory work completed at another accredited college or university upon receipt of an official transcript that demonstrates a qualifying grade for transfer. In granting advanced standing, the following are considered: the content, complexity, and grading standards of courses taken elsewhere; individual grades and grade averages attained by the applicant; the suitability of courses taken elsewhere for the program of study chosen for NYU; and the degree of preparation that completed courses provide for more advanced study at NYU.  Transfer credit toward the degree is given only for a grade of C or better, provided the credit fits into the selected program of study and courses were completed within the past 10 years.  In addition, note quarter hours will be converted to semester hours to determine the number of credits transferable to NYU; and credits based on semester hours will be transferred at face value to NYU.

Online Courses

LS will only consider transfer credits for online courses if they are earned by a student matriculating at the not-for-profit institution of higher learning where they were earned; courses that meet those conditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Global Study

GLS students are expected to study away for the entire junior year at an NYU global study site in Accra*, Berlin, Buenos Aires, Florence, London (by special permission and petition), Madrid, Paris, Shanghai, or Tel Aviv. Students are not permitted to satisfy the global study requirement at any other NYU Global Academic Center. In addition, students cannot satisfy the global study requirement at any of NYU's international exchange partners or a non-NYU study away program. Instead, students participate in GLS specific coursework at each of the aforementioned sites that prepare them for the senior year, senior thesis, and graduation.

*Students beginning Fall 2016 or later.


Although the LS administration does not supervise attendance of classes, it supports the standards imposed by instructors. All students are expected to review attendance policies published in the syllabus for each course.  Students who, in the judgment of the instructor, have not substantially met the requirements of the course or who have been excessively absent may be considered to have withdrawn unofficially and may be given a final grade of F.  See “Grades” above.

Final Examinations

Students are required to be present for all scheduled examinations. Makeup examinations are at the discretion of an instructor. The semester calendar indicates a week at the end of each semester during which examinations are to be given. The syllabus for each course should indicate the date of the final examination; if a syllabus does not indicate the date of the final examination, this should be brought to the attention of the Academic Affairs Office. Students should make their holiday and/or summer travel plans with scheduled examination dates in mind. Early departure from New York at the end of a semester is no excuse for missing an examination, nor should students expect that instructors will change the date of the examination to accommodate their travel plans.

Religious Observance Absences

New York University, as a nonsectarian institution, adheres to the general policy of including in its official calendar only certain legal holidays. However, it has also long been University policy that members of any religious group may, without penalty, absent themselves from classes when compliance with their religious obligations requires it. In 1988, the University Senate affirmed this policy and passed a resolution that elaborated on it as follows:

  1. Students who anticipate being absent because of any religious observance should, whenever possible, notify faculty in advance of such anticipated absence.  
  2. Whenever feasible, examinations and assignment deadlines should not be scheduled on religious holidays. Any student absent from class because of religious beliefs shall not be penalized for any class, examination, or assignment deadline missed on that day or days.
  3. If examinations or assignment deadlines are scheduled, any student who is unable to attend class because of religious beliefs shall be given the opportunity to make up that day or days.
  4. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student who avails him/herself of the above provisions.

Leave of Absence

Students who wish to take a semester off must obtain an official leave of absence from the LS Assistant Director of Students before the beginning of the semester. Those who do not obtain an official leave of absence may be required to apply for readmission, depending on the circumstances and number of semesters absent. A “leave of absence” is designated as either health-related or personal, and the designation has implications for housing status, financial aid appeals, and the procedures for returning; students should contact the LS Advising Office to learn more or ask questions. A leave may be requested for one semester or for the entire academic year; and official leaves extending beyond a third semester will require an application for readmission. Leave of absence applications and guidelines may be obtained from, and should be submitted to, the Academic Advising Office, 726 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10003. Students may apply for a medical leave of absence at any time. This will be granted upon the recommendation of a physician or therapist, as well as the NYU Student Health Center or the NYU Counseling and Wellness Services. Program changes may also be requested based on medical conditions.

Students who leave for medical or psychological reasons will be required to show medical documentation in order to return stating that the student is able physically and/or emotionally to resume their studies. In addition, students who take a leave of absence for psychological reasons must be evaluated by NYU’s Counseling and Behavioral Health Services office before returning to school.


Academic Integrity

In the process of learning, students acquire ideas from many sources and exchange ideas and opinions with classmates, professors, and others. This occurs in reading, writing, and discussion. Students are expected—often required—to build their own work on that of other people, just as professional researchers and writers do. Giving credit to someone whose work has helped one is courteous and honest. Plagiarism, on the other hand, is a form of fraud. Proper acknowledgment marks the difference.

A hallmark of the educated student is the ability to acknowledge information derived from others. The LS community expects that a student will be scrupulous in crediting those sources that have contributed to the development of his or her ideas. In particular, it is the responsibility of the student to learn the proper forms of citation. Refer to the LS “Academic Integrity Guide” posted on the Liberal Studies Website.

Plagiarism is presenting someone else’s work as though it were one’s own. More specifically, plagiarism is to present as one’s own a sequence of words quoted without quotation marks from another writer, a paraphrased passage from another writer’s work, or facts or ideas gathered, organized, and reported by someone else, orally and/or in writing. Since plagiarism is a matter of fact, not of the student’s intention, it is crucial that acknowledgment of the sources be accurate and complete. Even where there is no conscious intention to deceive, the failure to make appropriate acknowledgment constitutes plagiarism. Penalties for plagiarism range from a failing grade for a paper or a course to dismissal from the University.

Plagiarism is not, however, the only form of academic dishonesty. Any violation of or attempt to circumvent a course, program, or university academic policy is considered a breach of academic integrity. Examples of behaviors that compromise our intellectual and academic community include, but are not limited to, cheating on an examination; forging academic documents; attempting to gain an unfair advantage over other students on graded work; or facilitating any of these acts on the part of other students. Course materials such as syllabi, assignments, and test questions belong to the instructor and may not be reproduced or shared in any fashion without the instructor’s explicit written permission; to do so without written permission constitutes a punishable breach of academic integrity.

When an instructor finds that a student has violated the policy on academic integrity, the instructor will impose an appropriate sanction and also notify the Academic Affairs Office. Sanctions may range from a failing grade for the assignment to a failing grade for the course. The record of the finding will be kept on file.

In the event of a second violation of the policy, the matter will be referred to the Committee on Academic Standards. The committee treats all such violations seriously, and its review may result in the imposition of additional sanctions such as academic probation, suspension, or expulsion. Decisions of the committee may be appealed to the Dean of Liberal Studies. The deadline for appeals is 14 days from the date of the committee's decision.

Study Away Students

Students must adhere to NYU’s academic integrity policy while studying away at a global site. Students who are alleged to have violated the policy while studying away will be subject to review through the process prescribed by the University’s Study Away Policies and Procedures.


Academic Progress

The Committee on Academic Progress monitors the academic performance of students and places students on academic warning and academic probation. It also makes recommendations on terminating students who have not made sufficient progress. Its decisions may be appealed to the Associate Dean of Students.

Students are expected to progress toward the degree and to remain in good standing. Good standing is defined as maintaining a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.

Students whose GPA falls below 2.0 in any semester will be placed on academic probation. Normally, these students will be expected to raise their GPA above 2.0 in the following semester or they will either be placed on terminal probation or dismissed from NYU. Students on terminal probation who do not make academic progress as stipulated in their notice of probation will be dismissed.

Students who receive a notice of academic dismissal after they have registered for the next semester are required to discontinue attendance and will have any registered courses dropped with a full refund of tuition for the upcoming semester.

Students who wish to contest their academic dismissal must appeal, in writing, to the Associate Dean of Students within 20 days of the notification of academic dismissal. After a review of the appeal, a decision will be rendered in writing.

Note: Students receiving federal or state financial aid or other forms of external financial aid are required to make “satisfactory progress.” It is the responsibility of the student to determine what effect any academic action taken against him or her may have on the student’s financial aid eligibility. Students receiving financial aid should note that the University’s Office of Financial Aid defines “satisfactory progress” for full-time students as maintaining a grade point average of 2.0 or better and completing at least three-quarters of all attempted credits..

Such progress is essential for students to remain eligible for student aid. Therefore, while I and W grades are not computed in a student’s grade point average, they will affect the student’s eligibility for financial aid. Students who have any questions about this can call the Office of Financial Aid at 212-998-4444 to determine if their financial aid is in jeopardy.

Student Conduct and Discipline

Students are expected to familiarize themselves and to comply with the rules of conduct, academic regulations, and established practices of the University and LS. Visit NYU Student Community Standards.

The following are examples of the offenses for which students may be subject to disciplinary action (please note, this list is not exhaustive): forgery of identification; deliberate destruction, theft, or unauthorized use of laboratory data, research materials, computer resources, or University property; disruption of an academic event, program, or class; actual or threatened violence or harassment; use, possession, or storage of any weapon, dangerous chemicals, fireworks, or explosives; hazing; and violations of any local, state, and federal laws. (Please see “Academic Integrity” for the sanctions process for violations of academic integrity, such as cheating, plagiarism, the forgery of academic documents, and other academic infractions.)

Complaints alleging a violation of the conduct policy and other University policies will be reviewed and adjudicated by LS (in intra-school cases) or by the NYU Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards and Compliance (in inter-school cases). If a complaint involves a claim of sexual harassment, sexual violence or sexual assault, Liberal Studies will follow the University’s standard procedures for responding to such incidents as outlined in the NYU Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence, and Stalking Policy.

Students who violate Code of Conduct policies may be subject to disciplinary charges by the University Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

A member of the faculty, administration, staff, or any student may file a complaint against any student for a conduct offense with the Dean of the school in which the (accused) student is enrolled. Although a complaint may be filed at any time, it is strongly preferred that the complaint be submitted as soon as possible after the reporter/complainant became aware of the matter. A complaint should include a description of the incident giving rise to the complaint, the identity of the accused student(s), and the names of others who may have been present, observed the incident, or who otherwise have information related to the matter. In Liberal Studies, complaints should be filed in writing to the Associate Dean of Students in Liberal Studies, serving as the designee for the Dean (726 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY, 10003).

In instances in which both the complainant and the accused are within Liberal Studies, the LS Committee on Student Discipline (composed of members of the LS administration) will review and investigate the complaint. The Committee will also notify the student(s) named in the complaint/of the filing of the report/complaint and request to meet with those individuals. During the respective discussions, the students (Complainant and Accused) shall be informed of their rights and responsibilities within the student conduct process, be apprised of the University’s related procedures, and asked to discuss the incident giving rise to the report/complaint. Written notice of a filing of a formal complaint shall be given to the accused student.

The committee may impose the following sanctions:

  1. Warning: Notice to the student, in writing, that continuation or repetition of the conduct found wrongful, or participation in similar conduct, within a period of time stated in the warning, shall be cause for disciplinary action.
  2. Censure: Written reprimand for violation of specified regulation, including the possibility of more severe disciplinary sanction in the event of conviction for the violation of a school regulation within a period of time stated in the letter of reprimand.
  3. Disciplinary Probation: Exclusion from participation in privileges or extracurricular school activities as set forth in the notice of disciplinary probation for a specified period of time.
  4. Restitution: Reimbursement for damage to or misappropriation of property. Reimbursement may take the form of appropriate service to repair or otherwise compensate for damages.
  5. Suspension: Exclusion from classes and other privileges or extracurricular activities as set forth in the notice of suspension for a definite period of time. Students may not make academic progress at another institution and then transfer those credits back to NYU during the term of suspension. A student who has been suspended and who is not found to be responsible for the violation of school policy shall be allowed full opportunity to make up whatever work was missed due to the suspension.  
  6. Monetary Fine: For any offenses.  
  7. Dismissal: Termination of student status for an indefinite period. The conditions for readmission, if any are permitted, shall be stated by the panel in order of dismissal.

Both the Complainant and the Accused student will be notified in writing of the outcome of the complaint. Decisions of the Committee may be appealed to the Dean. No record of the disciplinary proceeding will be entered in the student’s file unless a final disciplinary sanction is found to be warranted.

Study Away Students

By enrolling in an NYU Academic Center away from Washington Square, a student assumes not only the rights and privileges of membership in a unique community but also the duties of citizenry associated with maintaining the values of the University community as well as those of the country in which the campus is located.  On behalf of, and in conjunction with, its members, the University has a duty to address behavior that jeopardizes the health, safety, or welfare of its members; compromises the academic or intellectual process; disrupts the administrative and supporting services of the University; and/or shows a disrespect for the country and local community in which the center is located.  Students who are alleged to have engaged in behavior that violates the Study Away Standard, New York University policies, and/or specific site policies will be subject to review through the student conduct process at the Academic Center and/or University level as deemed appropriate. For more information, refer to the Global Academic Centers: Conduct Process and Procedures.


Official copies of a student’s University transcript can be requested when a stamped and sealed copy of the academic record is required. There is currently no charge for paper transcripts, though please note that requests for electronic transcripts (“eTranscripts”) incur fees. There is no limit to the number of official transcripts that can be issued to a student. Transcripts cannot be produced for anyone whose record has been put on hold for an outstanding University obligation.

Students who attended NYU after 2001 and are able to access Albert, NYU’s web-based registration and information system, have the option of requesting an official paper or electronic transcript from the Albert Student Center. Albert can be accessed via NYUHome. For more detailed instructions about transcript requests, refer to the Office of the Registrar.

Students are able also to access their grades at the end of each semester via Albert.

Former Students Unable To Access NYUHome/Albert

Former students who no longer have a valid NetID and are thus unable to access NYUHome/Albert, or who attended New York University prior to 1990, must complete the Online Transcript Request Form, available from the Office of the Registrar, and mail, fax, or email the signature page to the Office of the Registrar. Email confirmation will be sent when the Office of the Registrar has received the signed request form.

Alternatively, former students unable to access NYUHome/Albert may fax or mail a written letter requesting the transcript. A signed consent form is required. The fax number is 212-995-4154; the mailing address is New York University, Office of the Registrar, Academic Records, P.O. Box 910, New York, NY 10276-0910.

A request letter must include all of the following information:

  • University ID number  
  • Current name and any other name under which NYU was attended 
  • Current address 
  • Date of birth   
  • School of the University attended  
  • Dates of attendance   
  • Date of graduation   
  • Full name and address of the person or institution to which the transcript is to be sent

Requests may indicate that transcripts should be forwarded to the requester’s home address, but the name and address of each institution is still required. The Office of the Registrar should be notified immediately of any change of address and may be contacted with any questions or concerns at 212-998-4280.


Enrollment Verification provides details on whether a student is/was enrolled full-time, half-time or less than half-time for any semester the student is/was enrolled at NYU. Enrollment certifications are frequently needed to verify eligibility for health insurance coverage, certain types of financial aid, and for other services available to individuals enrolled in colleges and universities.

New York University has multiple procedures for obtaining enrollment verification documents. NYU students can obtain verification directly from the Office of the University Registrar, while third party verifications should be requested through the National Student Clearinghouse. For more information, see the Office of the Registrar Website.

Please note, an individual who is not an NYU student or alumnus must follow the instructions outlined in the third-party request procedure.

Student Request Procedure

Students can view/print their own enrollment certification directly from Albert using the integrated National Student Clearinghouse student portal. This feature can be accessed from the “Enrollment Certification” link on the Albert homepage.

Eligible students are also able to view/print a Good Student Discount Certificate, which can be mailed to an auto insurer or any other company that requests proof of status as a good student (based on the cumulative GPA). This feature is available for students in all schools except the School of Law.

For students unable to access NYUHome/Albert, requests for verification of enrollment or graduation may be made by submitting a signed letter with the following information:

  • University ID number 
  • Current name and any name under which you attended NYU
  • Current address  
  • Date of birth 
  • School of the University attended  
  • Dates of attendance  
  • Date of graduation 
  • Full name & address of the person or institution to which the enrollment verification is to be sent

Requests must be addressed to:

Office of the University Registrar
Enrollment Verification and Graduation
P.O. Box 910
New York, NY 10276-0910

Or, signed requests may be faxed to 212-995-4154. Allow seven business days from the time the Office of the University Registrar is in receipt of  request. To confirm receipt of a request, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at 212-998-4280.

Third-Party Request Procedure

For enrollment or degree verification of a New York University student/alumnus, use the EnrollmentVerify service available from the National Student Clearinghouse. Please note that there is a fee for all services that are provided by the National Student Clearinghouse.

Arrears Policy

The University reserves the right to deny registration and withhold all information regarding the record of any student who is in arrears in the payment of tuition, fees, loans, or other charges (including charges for housing, dining, or other activities or services) for as long as any arrears remain.

Diploma Arrears Policy

Diplomas of students in arrears will be held until their financial obligations to the University are fulfilled and they have been cleared by the Bursar. Graduates with a diploma hold may contact the Office of the Bursar at 212-998-2806 to clear arrears or to discuss their financial status at the University.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) establishes requirements for the protection of the privacy of students. FERPA and its attendant regulations govern the release of information from student educational records, provide for student access to their records, and establish a means for students to request the amendment of records that they believe are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of their rights of privacy. New York University’s "Guidelines for Compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act" summarizes the rights of the University’s students under FERPA and its attendant regulations, as well as the corresponding obligations of the University, and may be viewed at

Disclosure: Generally, personally identifiable information regarding a student cannot be disclosed without his or her written consent. Information is personally identifiable if it would make a student’s identity easily traceable. This includes the student’s address, Social Security number or other such identifying number, photograph, or parent’s name and/or address. Exceptions to this rule are personal information defined as "directory information," which may be disclosed for any purpose, at the discretion of the University. Directory information is defined at

Education Records Covered Under FERPA: The Guidelines describe those education records that are covered by FERPA and that are available for student review. "Education records" refers to any record or document containing information directly related to a student and is not limited to a file with the student’s name on it.

Student Access: Requests by students for access to their education records should be referred to Assistant Provost for Academic Program Review Barnett W. Hamberger at 212-998-2310 or


LS students are subject to federal regulations regarding human subjects research, as described in greater detail in the Guide for Senior Thesis Writers available from the Office of Academic Affairs. Students who plan on conducting thesis research that may constitute human subjects research must apply to the university’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) for approval in advance of engaging in the proposed research. Students may refer questions about what constitutes human subjects research to the Office of Academic Affairs. 


Various Department of Veterans Affairs programs provide educational benefits for spouses, sons, and daughters of deceased or permanently disabled veterans as well as for veterans and in-service personnel, subject to certain restrictions. Under most programs, the student pays tuition and fees at the time of registration but will receive a monthly allowance from Veterans Affairs.

Veterans with service-connected disabilities may be qualified for educational benefits under Chapter 31. Applicants for this program are required to submit to the Department of Veterans Affairs a letter of acceptance from the college they wish to attend. On meeting the requirements for the Department of Veterans Affairs, the applicant will be given an Authorization for Education (VA Form 22-1905), which must be presented to the Office of the University Registrar before registering for coursework.

Veterans’ allowance checks are usually sent directly to veterans by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans and eligible dependents should contact the Office of the University Registrar each term for which they desire Veterans Affairs certification of enrollment.

All veterans are expected to reach the objective (bachelor’s or master’s degree, doctorate, or certificate) authorized by Veterans Affairs with the minimum number of credits required. The Department of Veterans Affairs may not authorize allowance payments for credits that are in excess of scholastic requirements, that are taken for audit purposes only, or for which nonpunitive grades are received.

Applications and more information may be obtained from the student’s regional office of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional guidance may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.

Since interpretation of regulations governing veterans’ benefits is subject to change, veterans should keep in touch with the Department of Veterans Affairs or NYU’s Office of the University Registrar.

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program

NYU participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program), a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The program is designed to help students finance, through scholarship assistance, up to 100 percent of their out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with education programs that may exceed the Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit, which will only pay up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition.

Beginning in the 2009-2010 academic year, NYU will provide funds toward the tuition of each qualifying veteran who has been admitted as a full-time undergraduate, with the VA matching NYU’s tuition contribution for each student.

To be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon benefits, an individual must be entitled to the maximum post-9/11 benefit. An individual may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Enhancement if:

  • He/She served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months.  
  • He/She was honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and had served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.   
  • He/She is a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria, as described on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is currently accepting applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Enhancement, students must apply to the VA. The VA will then determine a student’s eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and issue the student a Certificate of Eligibility. Note: Students can apply using the VA Form 22-1990, and the form includes the instructions needed to begin the process.

After a student is issued a Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs, indicating that the student qualifies for the Yellow Ribbon Program, please contact Clara Fonteboa in the Office of the University Registrar at or 212-998-4823.

The Office of the University Registrar must certify to the Department of Veterans Affairs that the eligible person is enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in order for the funds to be paid under the Yellow Ribbon Program.


Immunization Requirements

New York State Public Health Law 2165 and 2167 and/or NYU require that all students (graduate, undergraduate, transfers and returning students who, to date, have not complied) taking six or more credits in an approved degree or registered certificate program in a degree-granting institution must provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella; and acknowledge receipt of information regarding the disease meningitis/or provide proof of meningitis vaccine.

If a student is not in full compliance, New York State requires that the University exclude him/her from attending classes 30 days after the first day of class for New York State residents and 45 days after the first day of class for out-of-state and international students. For more information, visit the Student Health Center Website.

New York University Weapons Policy

New York University strictly prohibits the possession of all weapons, as described in local, state, and federal statutes, that includes, but is not limited to, firearms, knives, explosives, etc., in and/or around any and all University facilities—academic, residential, or others. This prohibition extends to all buildings—whether owned, leased, or controlled by the University, regardless of whether the bearer or possessor is licensed to carry that weapon. The possession of any weapon has the potential of creating a dangerous situation for the bearer and others.

The only exceptions to this policy are duly authorized law enforcement personnel who are performing official federal, state, or local business and instances in which the bearer of the weapon is licensed by an appropriate licensing authority and is carrying valid identification that establishes the person’s law enforcement status.

New York University Simulated Firearm Policy

New York University strictly prohibits simulated firearms in and/or around any and all University facilities—academic, residential, or other. This prohibition extends to all buildings—whether owned, leased, or controlled by the University. The possession of a simulated firearm has the potential of creating a dangerous situation for the bearer and others.

The only exceptions to this policy are instances in which nine specific requirements are satisfied, as enumerated in the NYU Weapons and Simulated Weapons Policy.