Clinical Professor of Liberal Studies
M.A. Temple University
B. A. University of Wisconsin-Madison
Areas of Interest: Writing, Creative Writing, Contemporary Art & Poetry
Course(s) Taught: Writing I and II, Poetry Workshop, Global Conceptualisms: Art & Culture
- New York Foundation of the Arts Award, Poetry, 2011
- MoMA Reading Series (proposal awarded for Collective Task), 2011
- Faculty Excellence Award in Creative Professional Development, 2010
Teaching Statement: As both a writing and creative writing professor, I encourage students to participate in and critique contemporary culture. I aim to treat students like young artists, scholars, and thinkers who are seeking to carve a path through the abundance of information they experience at the university and in their everyday lives. Writing--both academic and creative--can help make sense of this abundance; the writer can document, complicate, or analyze this information. As such, I encourage my students to be active participants of our contemporary intellectual terrain, as opposed to being passive receivers of it.
Affiliations: Department of English/Creative Writing (CAS)
Publications:Recent Poetry and Criticism books include:
- Rob's Word Shop, Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, forthcoming 2015.
- No, Wait. Yep. Definitely Still Hate Myself. Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, 2014.
- Holocaust Museum, Counterpath Books, Denver, 2013.
- Now we are friends, Truck Books, New York, 2011
- Rob the Plagiarist, Roof Books, New York, 2009
- Notes On Conceptualisms, (co-authored with Vanessa Place), Ugly Duckling Presse, New York, 2009
- Sprawl: Metropolis 30A, Make Now Books, Los Angeles, 2009
Professional website: https://files.nyu.edu/rmf1/public/